In 2022, from January 1 to December 31, North Star Child Advocacy Center performed 618 Forensic Interviews.
Committed to the Safety of Children
One in every 10 children will be a victim of sexual abuse by their 18th birthday. Based on data from the CDC, a conservative estimate for the cost of maltreatment in West Virginia was over $775 Million in 2014.
North Star Child Advocacy Center, Inc. exists to change those numbers and lead the fight against the cycle of child abuse through a stronger, more approachable model. And over the past year, we’ve made significant progress by providing forensic interviews, medical exams, and therapy to over 700 children in our community.
2021-2022 Fiscal Year (July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2022) by the Numbers
Who We Serve
- 96% of victims knew their abuser. Abuse is a crime of secrecy.
- 45% of cases reported to a CAC were sexual abuse.
How Many Served
- North Star Child Advocacy, Inc. serves 22,995 children in the five county area.
What We Provided
- 597 children received forensic interviews.
- 67 children received therapy sessions.
- 33 children received medical exams.
What Caregivers Are Saying About 2021-2022
- I believe my child felt safe at the Center. 98% Agree
- The Center staff made sure I understood the reason for our visit to the Center. 99% Agree
- When I came to the Center, my child and I were greeted and received attention in a timely manner. 100% Agree
- I was given information about the services and programs provided by the Center. 100% Agree
- My questions were answered to my satisfaction. 100% Agree
- The process for the interview of my child at the center was clearly explained to me. 99% Agree
- I was given information about possible behaviors I might expect from my child in the days and weeks ahead. 88% Agree
- The staff members at the Center were friendly and pleasant. 99% Agree
- After our visit at the Center, I feel I know what to expect with the situation facing my child and me. 93% Agree
- The Center staff provided me with resources to support my child and respond to his or her needs in the days and weeks ahead. 96% Agree
How This Benefits Our Community
- According to the CDC, the associated lifetime costs of each child experiencing non-fatal child maltreatment is $210,012. This estimate includes that child’s associated lifetime costs for healthcare, productivity losses, child welfare, criminal justice, and special education.
- If the CAC hadn’t intervened, the estimated lifetime costs of abuse for the children we served would have been over $73 million.
Together We Can Grow This Movement
Your passion and dedication are paramount to helping us provide a safe environment for child victims of abuse to heal and bring their offenders to justice. Every dollar you donate will be used to support North Star Child Advocacy Center, Inc. and empower significant change to deliver better care for victims and put an end to the cycle of abuse.Donate Today